Ustad Fareedun, an official at the Taliban-run information ministry, was quoted as saying by Reuters that the bomber planned to enter the foreign ministry premises but failed.
He added that at least 20 people were killed and many others injured in the explosion that came amid a fresh bout of violence in the country.
The blast took place about 4 p.m. local time (1130 GMT) on Wednesday, police spokesman Khalid Zadran said in a statement earlier, adding that the security teams were immediately dispatched to the area.
Zadran also confirmed casualties in the powerful explosion and said the details of the incident will be shared later.
“Today around 4 o'clock there was an explosion on the road of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, which unfortunately resulted in casualties. Security teams have reached the area, and the details of the incident will be shared later," he wrote in a tweet.
According to some reports, a meeting was underway between the foreign ministry officials and the ambassador of China at the time of the explosion.
China has stepped up engagements with the de-facto Taliban government in Afghanistan, promising trade and investment.
But Beijing has concerns over the potential spillover of militancy from Afghanistan into China’s western region of Xinjiang, the security of its infrastructure projects in the region and its citizens in Afghanistan.
No group has yet claimed responsibility for Wednesday's attack but observers say it could be the handiwork of the Daesh terrorist group.
It comes a month after the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group on December 13 claimed an attack on a Kabul hotel frequented by Chinese nationals. A group of armed men opened fire, seriously wounding five Chinese nationals.
Beijing responded by advising its citizens and companies “to leave and evacuate the country as soon as possible".
It also expressed “deep shock” over the incident and called on the Afghan interim government "to take strong and resolute measures to ensure the security of Chinese nationals, institutions and projects in Afghanistan.”
Earlier this week, Taliban spokesman Suhail Shaheen said the interim government will guarantee the safety of Chinese nationals in Afghanistan, saying they have an “obligation” to maintain the safety of Chinese nationals.
“The current government reiterates its obligation to maintain the safety of Chinese nationals and all other nationals who are coming to Afghanistan either for investment, business or tourism,” Shaheen was quoted as saying. “This is the government’s responsibility and [we] are committed to delivering it."
The Taliban has largely failed to bring security since taking over in August last year as deadly explosions targeting civilians remain a recurrent theme of daily life in the country. Daesh has claimed responsibility for most of these attacks.
Since the Taliban took control in August 2021, their non-recognition by the international community, along with the sanctions imposed on the central bank and the freezing of Afghan assets by the US and its allies, has driven the country's economy to the brink of collapse.
Iran condemns Wednesday's attack
Iran's embassy in Kabul condemned the terrorist attack in front of the Afghan foreign ministry compound in Kabul on Wednesday.
In a statement posted on Twitter, the embassy expressed its condolences to the families of the victims.
Source: Press TV
This page is the English version of Almasirah Media Network website and it focuses on delivering all leading News and developments in Yemen, the Middle East and the world. In the eara of misinformation imposed by the main stream media in the Middle East and abroad, Almasirah Media Network strives towards promoting knowledge, principle values and justice, among all societies and cultures in the world
copyright by Almasirah 2023 ©