“The number of victims of the Quoro market massacre” has risen to 40 by the afternoon, the local resistance committee said in a statement on Sunday, revising its previous toll of 30 killed.
The attack was one of the deadliest single attacks in the ongoing conflict in Sudan, which has been raging since mid-April after tensions heightened over a power struggle between army chief General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan and his former deputy General Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo, who now commands the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF).
The statement said the death toll was expected to rise, as casualties continued to pour into the nearby Bashair hospital.
The RSF blamed the military’s air force for Sunday’s attack, though it was not immediately possible to independently verify the claim.
“We only aim our attacks at the enemy’s groupings and stations in different areas,” Brig Gen Nabil Abdallah told Reuters.
The Sudanese army denied responsibility and blamed the RSF.
The hospital had made an “urgent appeal”, calling upon medical professionals in the vicinity to come and provide assistance in treating the injured people arriving.
According to the International Organization for Migration (IOM), over 4 million people have been internally displaced as a result of the surge in violence, and another million have fled to neighboring countries.
Also last month, the UN warned that millions of people across Sudan are running out of food and are on the brink of famine as the situation in the war-torn Northeast African country is spiraling out of control.
This page is the English version of Almasirah Media Network website and it focuses on delivering all leading News and developments in Yemen, the Middle East and the world. In the eara of misinformation imposed by the main stream media in the Middle East and abroad, Almasirah Media Network strives towards promoting knowledge, principle values and justice, among all societies and cultures in the world
copyright by Almasirah 2024 ©